There isn’t an official reading list from the Scrum Alliance or Scrum organisation, but I have created a recommended reading list for Scrum Masters at each stage of their career development.
Scrum was developed and co-authored in 1995. The Agile Manifesto was created in 2001. A lot has changed since then.
You may find that there are a lot of books that focus on the technology element of Scrum or Agile, and many of those books will be dated.
At Agile Centre, we earmark evergreen topics such as team dynamics, facilitation, and the human element of working in Agile frameworks.
These are the things that never go out of style.
Technology changes a lot quicker than people do. Many of the great books for Scrum and Agile are written for the people element and those are the books we tend to focus on recommending for each of our Agile and Scrum courses.
If you visit www.agilecentre.com you will also find a complete list of book reviews.
As part of our personal development and evolution we have read heaps of books over the years. Many of them are scrum-related but many of them are just great books.
Books like ‘Start with Why?’ by Simon Sinek. Books like ‘Creativity Inc’ by Ed Catmill.
These books provide insight into purpose and the creative process. They aren’t scrum-related yet offer valuable insights for teams and organisations who embrace Business Agility.
As we read through these books and listen to audiobooks, we provide book reviews to help you understand why we thought they are valuable and where valuable, we include the book as a part of our recommended reading list for Scrum Masters and Agile coaches.
Our very own Karim Harbott has just completed writing his book, ‘the 6 enablers of business agility’ and we would invite you to read that as a great overview of how organisations can achieve business agility in the 21st century.
If you are interested in becoming a Scrum Master, visit our Certified Scrum Master course page.
Frequently Asked Scrum Master Questions
- What is Scrum?
- What is a Scrum Team?
- Do Scrum Masters work outside of Software environments?
- Do I need project management experience to become a Scrum Master?
- How does a Scrum Master differ from a Project Manager?
- Is the Scrum Master a member of the development team?
- What is the difference between a Scrum Master and a Product Owner?
- What is the Agile Manifesto?
- What are 3 traits of a good Scrum Master?
- Are there different levels of seniority amongst Scrum Masters?
- Can you create a Scrum environment in a company that isn’t Agile?
- Do I need to be a developer to be a Scrum Master for a software development team?
- How will I know if a Scrum Master role is a good fit for me?
- Must you be an expert in Scrum to become a Scrum Master?
- What are career opportunities for a Scrum Master?
- What do Scrum Masters do?
- What is a daily scrum and do Scrum Masters lead them?
Frequently asked Training and Certification questions
- Do you get course materials and textbooks on the CSM course?
- How well does a CSM course prepare you to be a Scrum Master?
- How well recognised and respected is the Certified Scrum Master course?
- What do I need to know before signing up on the CSM course?
- What is a Certified Scrum Master?
- What is a good certification path for a Scrum Master?
- What will you learn on a CSM course?
- Will I be able to lead a scrum team after doing a CSM course?
- Are there different Scrum Master certifications and how do they differ?
- Do companies invest in CSM courses or is it predominantly individuals?
- How long is the CSM course and how is it configured?
- Is the CSM course theoretical or practical?
- Is there an alumni group for CSM graduates?
- Is there an exam I need to pass to become a Certified Scrum Master?
- What can I do with a CSM credential?
- What is my earning potential as a Certified Scrum Master?
- Can a Scrum Master be a line Manager?
- I have experience as a Scrum Master, do I still need to do the CSM before the ACSM?
- How do you progress as a Scrum Master?
- I’m a project manager, is the CSM a good fit for me?
- Is there a recommended reading list for Scrum Masters?
- Should I do the CSM or the CSPO course?
- What are SEUs?