What is a daily Scrum?
A daily scrum is a short, sharp meeting that includes members of the Scrum Team.
Ideally, they are stand up meetings to ensure that they do not exceed 15 minutes and that each member of the team is focused specifically on what needs doing and what may be standing in the way.
Does the Scrum Master lead?
Ideally, when a Scrum Team achieve the goal of becoming a self-organising team, a Scrum Master is not even necessary in the daily scrum meetings.
The daily scrum is an event designed for the members of the development team to update each other on what is working, what needs doing, and what impediments stand in the way of progress.
Whilst a Scrum Master would always be welcome to such meetings, it is not necessary for them to be present for them.
So, no, a Scrum Master does not lead a daily scrum meeting. The development team do.
When a team adopt Scrum as a way of building and developing valuable products, they might need some assistance in the beginning.
A Scrum Master can play a valuable role in helping to facilitate a Daily Scrum; however, it would be important that they don’t play a leading role.
Their focus should lie in helping the team self-organise and prioritise for the daily scrum meeting.
A Scrum Master could facilitate by simply asking questions and ensuring that each member of the Scrum Team participate in the meeting. Doing so will help shape expectations and requirements for the daily scrum and help the team lead their own meetings in the future.
A Scrum Master can participate in daily scrums and use the opportunity to identify impediments to progress within the Scrum Team. It is a great place to get the initial insight and facilitate a separate meeting to understand and resolve any issues that may arise.
A Scrum Master will often have several meetings with members of the development team as well as the product owner. Those meetings are often focused and have a specific purpose.
The Scrum Master would make use of these individual or team meetings to discuss matters of importance or address any issues that may need resolving. A daily scrum would not be the time or place to address any issues relating to the product or team.
Frequently Asked Scrum Master Questions
- What is Scrum?
- What is a Scrum Team?
- Do Scrum Masters work outside of Software environments?
- Do I need project management experience to become a Scrum Master?
- How does a Scrum Master differ from a Project Manager?
- Is the Scrum Master a member of the development team?
- What is the difference between a Scrum Master and a Product Owner?
- What is the Agile Manifesto?
- What are 3 traits of a good Scrum Master?
- Are there different levels of seniority amongst Scrum Masters?
- Can you create a Scrum environment in a company that isn’t Agile?
- Do I need to be a developer to be a Scrum Master for a software development team?
- How will I know if a Scrum Master role is a good fit for me?
- Must you be an expert in Scrum to become a Scrum Master?
- What are career opportunities for a Scrum Master?
- What do Scrum Masters do?
- What is a daily scrum and do Scrum Masters lead them?
Frequently asked Training and Certification questions
- Do you get course materials and textbooks on the CSM course?
- How well does a CSM course prepare you to be a Scrum Master?
- How well recognised and respected is the Certified Scrum Master course?
- What do I need to know before signing up on the CSM course?
- What is a Certified Scrum Master?
- What is a good certification path for a Scrum Master?
- What will you learn on a CSM course?
- Will I be able to lead a scrum team after doing a CSM course?
- Are there different Scrum Master certifications and how do they differ?
- Do companies invest in CSM courses or is it predominantly individuals?
- How long is the CSM course and how is it configured?
- Is the CSM course theoretical or practical?
- Is there an alumni group for CSM graduates?
- Is there an exam I need to pass to become a Certified Scrum Master?
- What can I do with a CSM credential?
- What is my earning potential as a Certified Scrum Master?
Interested in Certified ScrumMaster® training?
Do you need help with the Daily Scrum?
Our trainers & coaches can support you with all aspects of Scrum.
Book a call to see how we can help or
check out our Introduction to Agile & Scrum course to boost your Scrum knowledge.