An Agile coach is someone who helps align a team with Agile values and principles so that the team can thrive.
They are invested in creating an environment where teams can build products and services that truly delight customers. They do so by questioning the status quo and inspiring teams to dig deeper on every effort.
A great deal of progression in the Agile world comes from thought and reflection.
An Agile coach works with teams to reflect on what has happened and how to evolve because of the challenges that may be tripping them up.
An Agile coach works with Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and the development team to focus on the why. Why are we building this product? Why does it matter? How is it going to have a significant impact in the lives of our customers?
An Agile coach is often an individual who has significant experience as a practitioner.
Their journey has been informed by overcoming challenges as practitioners, for example a Scrum Master, and they bring a blend of coaching and mentorship to help others progress toward their goals and objectives.
An Agile coach will have invested a great deal of time working in team environments and will have a deep understanding of the kind of challenges that teams encounter.
They have a great understanding of team dynamics and invest themselves in aligning the team with high-performing, Agile ways of working that help teams unleash their creativity and passion.
Agile coaches use a blend of professional coaching skills as well as their own practitioner skills to create environments where others can excel.
They are deeply invested in individuals as well as the team and use their expertise and experience to help the team overcome challenges and produce their best work.
If you are interested in becoming an Agile coach, there are a number of paths you can follow.
If you are currently a Scrum Master, visit our Advanced Certified Scrum Master and Certified Scrum Professional Scrum Master course pages to deepen your expertise as a practitioner. From there, visit our Agile Coaching Academy course pages to deepen your expertise as a coach.
If you are currently a Product Owner, visit our Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner course page to deepen your expertise as a Product Owner and visit our Agile Coaching Academy course pages to deepen your expertise as a coach.
The Agile Coaching Academy will help prepare you for the Scrum Alliance Certified Team Coach and Certified Enterprise Agile Coach certifications.
You can also visit the IC Agile Certified Agile Team Coaching course pages for an accelerated course in Agile coaching.
Agile Coaching FAQs
- What is an Agile Coach?
- What is the difference between a traditional coach and an Agile Coach?
- What are the career opportunities for an Agile Coach?
- Do you need to be a Scrum or Agile practitioner to become an Agile coach?
- Do I need to be an expert in Scrum to start my Agile coaching journey?
- Is an Agile coach a line management position?
- How do I integrate Agile coaching into a traditional management role?
- Do project managers make great candidates for Agile coaches?
- Can I become an Agile coach from both the scrum master and product owner tracks?
- What would be a great apprenticeship for an Agile coach?
- How is an Agile coach different from a Scrum Master?
- How will I know if Agile coaching is a good fit for me?
- Are there levels of seniority for Agile coaches?
- How effective is Agile coaching in an organisation that doesn’t embrace Agile?
- Is Agile coaching a natural evolution from Scrum Mastery?
- What is the difference between an Agile coach and a Project Manager?
- How will hiring an Agile coach help our business?
- I’m a project manager. Can I make the transition to Agile coach?
- How does Agile coaching help Agile transformations?
- How much of an impact can Agile coaches have on entrepreneurs?
- Will becoming an Agile coach help me lead my company more effectively?
- What is the difference between a Certified Enterprise Coach and a Certified Team Coach?
- Do Agile coaches work with individuals or teams?
- I lead a development team. Will becoming an Agile coach benefit us?
- How long will it take to go from Scrum Master to Agile Coach?